The Ash Center provides travel grants to HKS students working on their Policy Analysis Exercises (PAE) or Second Year Policy Analyses (SYPA). Projects with connection to Ash-affiliated faculty and related to the following topics will receive priority: public sector innovation, democratic institutions and participation, public policymaking in China and Asia, social innovation/entrepreneurship, and emergency response management.
Interested HKS students are encouraged to apply through the HKS Common Application. The application deadline has passed for AY2012-13. For AY2013-14, the deadline is November 1, 2013*. Please contact Research Associate Tim Glynn Burke with questions about forthcoming deadlines.
*Date subject to change
2012-13 PAE/SYPA Research Grant Recipients
The Ash Center provides travel grants to Harvard Kennedy School students working on their Policy Analysis Exercises (PAE) or Second Year Policy Analysis (SYPA). During the 2012-2013 academic year, 26 students received Center support to author large-scale research reports addressing real world policy or management problems. Such reports are usually 40-pages in length and give students a unique opportunity to work for practitioners and legislators beyond Harvardâ€™s gates. They gain valuable skills working for outside clients, while expanding upon their academic areas of interest. The following students received grants:
- Assaf, Francis and Patel, Kash - Improving Community College Students' Financial Capabilities to Decrease Drop Outs
- CedeĂ±o, Victor - Foreclosure Interventions in Minneapolis
- Ellis, Sarah - Reviewing Best Practices in Government Release of Public-Use Data
- Falk, Leora - Developing Resources for The Solutions Journalism Network; Helping Make Journalism More Solutions- and Engagement- Oriented
- Fu, Ning and Tu, Shunde - Innovations in Government / Donor-Funded Workforce Training Programs in Africa with Social Impact Bond Model
- Gahlawat, Nikhil and Redgrave, Kristina - A Model for Evaluating Civic Innovation
- Garmendia, Cristina and Kapur, Alexander - Enhancing Government Asset Management Through Data and Technology
- Guimaraes, Duval and Rao, Sneh - Youth Civic Engagement in Brazil: The Case of the Ipatinga Youth City Council
- Han, Helen; Koruturk, Zeynep; and Valenti, Livio - Building Myanmar from the Ground Up: Opportunities for Private Sector Investments
- Jaeckel, Tyler - Colorado Social Impact Bonds
- Joshi, Pratibha - Analyzing Public Sector Funded Incubators' Effectiveness in India
- Jyung, Dawoun and Tan, Victoria - Improving Quality of Primary Care for Children Affected by HIV/AIDS
- Seckan, Bakary and Teo, Max - Malaysian Aviation Sector Development
- Truman, Mark - Mobilizing Community Organizations for Civic Engagement
- Wagner, Rosie - The Rule of Law and the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- Watt, Iain - Maximizing Economic and Social Impact of Seattle's Multi-Sport Arena
- Wongwaisiriwat, Sukjai - Regulating Real Estate Finance in Thailand: Have Regulators Hit the Bullâ€™s Eye?
* Travel grant provided through the Ash Centerâ€™s HKS Indonesia Program